Are you a professional hunter or you love playing hunting or shooting games with family or friends? Whatever the mode of your play is, you need to get a perfect rifle scope to target the prey or other objects.
The.308 Winchester may very well be the most popular hunting round in the world. It’s used for the big and medium-sized game, from whitetail deer to buffalo. So many rifles have been manufactured over the years for the.308 caliber round.
The.308 Winchester round acts as a fully powered rifle, making it ideal for both moderate and long-range shooting, but you have to combine it with the best scope for a.308 for it to deliver what it promises.
The best scope reviews will reveal the importance of the scopes in hunting and shooting. All you need to do is to buy the finest rifle scope that gives you maximum features, but in a budget-friendly way.
The prominent things that you must notice in a rifle scope are its durability, prices, magnification power, and nature of the reticles. Below are 12 scopes that will fit on such rifles, chosen for their quality of construction and reliability.
- 1 Using a.308 Scope for Hunting.
- 2 308 Scope Buyers Guide
- 3 Best Long Range Scope for 308 Quick List
- 4 What Is the Best Long Range Scope for 308?
- 5 Best Compact Scope For 308
- 5.1 4. UTG 3-12X44 30 mm Compact Scope – Best Scope for Quick Mounting
- 5.2 5. Leupold VX Freedom–Best for Deer Hunting
- 5.3 6. Nikon M-Tactical .308 4-16X42SF Matte BDC 800 – Best Nikon Scope for .308
- 5.4 8. UTG SWAT 3-12X44 30mm – Best Anti-Glare Scope
- 6 Best Scope For 308 Sniper
- 7 Conclusion
Using a.308 Scope for Hunting.
If you’re a hunter and plan on using a.308 scope for such events, you’ll want to stick to those that offer good visibility in images. Also looking for a product that has varying levels of illumination.
Your scope should help you see better in situations and times where you may not see very well, such as during the early morning.
For example, some scopes will allow you to adjust the brightness with a built-in battery. Others may have features that change the color of the visuals that you see.
308 Scope Buyers Guide
The most important thing for you to remember when looking for a.308 scope is to ensure that it’s compatible with your rifle. You can mount them on lots of different guns.
Will your shooting occur in an open range or a deep area?
Choose a scope that has a reticle that you will not be annoyed with seeing, and that will be easily viewed by you.
Of course, this may also depend on the rifle in use, but you may stretch the maximum range of your weapon when mounting a scope that magnifies farther than 4x.
First, let us learn some features of the rifle scope you need to attract attention to when choosing the best scope for your.308 rifle.
The level of magnification you need depends on how you plan to use your rifle.
Your run-of-the-mill scope will have a 3-9x, 4-12x (which is all you need for most hunting applications, anyway).
For big game hunters, a scope in the 6-9x range should be plenty for shooting deer, elk, and bear out to 250 yards. If you want to attempt that 1000 yard shot, you’ll need a powerful optic with at least 24x magnification.
.308 Winchester produces some mild recoil, so eye relief isn’t as big a concern as it is with heavier hitting cartridges. However, don’t underestimate how much space you may need.
Getting clocked in the eye with a rifle scope hurts, so you want to do everything you can to prevent it. Get a scope with at least a 3-1/2” to 4” eye relief.
The amount of weight you’re adding to your rifle is going to be important as well because the last thing you want is to be extremely fatigued from a long trek. After all, your gear weighs as much as you do.
We can negate the effects of the additional weight by choosing a scope that has just enough magnification power and glass size for our uses. Since a 308 is only effective under 1000m, there’s no reason to equip a massive scope capable of 1000m+.
This is one of the most important parts of a scope. You want lenses that present a crystal-clear picture at both low and high magnifications.
Scope lenses can be coated, multi-fully coated, and fully multi-coated. The number of coatings on the lens stands for the quality of what you will see through it. Fully multi-coated lenses are believed to be the best for long-range hunting.
For choosing a reticle, you’ll want to consider the long-range potential of the 308 calibers round. For instance, if you like shooting long distances, a BDC reticle might be good for you.
An illuminated reticle is an option if you are planning to shoot in lower light conditions and scopes with illumination has increased the versatility but also increases the price tag.
There are three primary types of reticles out there, including duplex, mil-dot, and BDC.
A duplex reticle is one of the most common and features thin crosshairs at the center with wider strips as you get further out.
Mil-Dot is great for a specific purpose, such as range, just as the BDC reticle (Bullet Drop Compensator), which helps you predict how much the bullet will drop at your given range.
Parallax is an optical effect that makes the scope’s reticle seem to shift or float when you move your head. This happens because you’re looking at a reticle that isn’t on the same focal plane as your target.
Parallax isn’t much of an issue for short to mid-range shooting. Scopes designed for these ranges are usually already parallax-adjusted.
However, if you’re shooting a long-range scope, especially one with high power magnification, parallax can be a serious issue. If you are looking for a long-range scope, find one with parallax change. Those are the ones with a turret at the top of the tube.
MIL VS. MOA
If you’re choosing between a MIL system and an MOA system, you would know that neither is inherently better.
A 1/4 MOA is marginally more precise than a 1/10 MIL (albeit slightly more difficult to communicate), but the difference is minuscule–around 1 inch at 1,000 yards.
This is extremely important if you will use your rifle primarily for hunting. Ideally, get a scope that is waterproof, dustproof, fog-proof, and also a bit of shock-proof, so you do not have to worry about banging your scope on the trees and rocks while you’re hunting.
Construction and Durability
A quality optic is a robust optic. You want an optic that shrugs off recoil and is made for 30 calibers, full-powered rifle rounds. This level of durability should leave the optic rated as shock, water, and fog proof. This is important because the more durable a particular product is, the more reliable it is for the years to come.
Best Long Range Scope for 308 Quick List
|Vortex Optics Viper HS Second Focal Plane Riflescopes - Best Scope for Long Range||Check Price|
|Nikon P-Tactical .308 4-12X40 Matte BDC800 - Best.308 Scope For The Money||Check Price|
|Primary Arms FFP Rifle scope - Best Scope for Optical Brightness||Check Price|
|UTG 3-12X44 30 mm Compact Scope - Best Scope for Quick Mounting||Check Price|
|Leupold VX Freedom–Best for Deer Hunting||Check Price|
|Nikon M-Tactical .308 4-16X42SF Matte BDC 800 - Best Nikon Scope for .308||Check Price|
|EOTECH Vudu 3.5-18x50mm Precision Rifle Scope||Check Price|
|UTG SWAT 3-12X44 30 mm Compact Scope - Best Anti-Glare Scope||Check Price|
|Night Force SHV 5-20x56mm Rifle scope,30 mm - Best Scope for Solo Hunting||Check Price|
|Primary Arms SLX 1-8x24mm SFP Rifle Scope–Best 3-Gun Scope for.308||Check Price|
|Aimpoint PRO Red Dot Reflex Sight–Best Red Dot for.308||Check Price|
What Is the Best Long Range Scope for 308?
In our opinion the best scope for 308 long range and medium range are:
1. Vortex Optics Viper HS Second Focal Plane Riflescopes – Best Scope for Long Range
Vortex makes some of the best hunting optics on the planet. Specifically, for hunting and tactical use, their optics are some of the most rugged and are backed by one of the best warranties in the business.
The Vortex Optics Viper HS is a riflescope that’s recommended for people that require a solid reticle, or crosshairs.
The Viper HS has exposed target-style turrets that deliver audible, tactile clicks for easy, precise, and repeatable adjustments.
Build from one piece of aircraft-grade aluminum and featuring a 1-inch tube, with a 44mm objective lens and a 4-16x magnification range
– The Viper HS 2. 5-10×44 is one of the multiple configurations in the Viper.
– The Dead-Hold BDC reticle is good for any hunting or shooting at varying ranges where estimating hold-over would be a concern.
– The XD glass renders an image that is sharp and clear from edge to edge.
– XR multi-coated lenses are allowing you to capture the most light from dawn till dusk. The 4x zoom range.
– Ultra-hard, scratch-resistant Armortek coatings protect the exterior lenses of the scope.
– Argon purging provides fog proof and waterproof performance.
|The reticle is easy to see but not too inconspicuous||The magnification change is tight, which may increase the time spent before readying for a shot|
|Images that are seen through the optical are clear, even in the far corners of the scope|
|The lens is shielded with a coat that makes it scratch-resistant|
2. Nikon P-Tactical .308 4-12X40 Matte BDC800 – Best.308 Scope For The Money
Advanced optics are one of the best features of this scope. It features a multi-coated optic, which promotes up to 98% light transmission, giving you a bright and clear image whether using it day or night.
Their P-308 riflescope designed around a 1-inch tube and 40mm objective lens. The fully multi-coated lenses are excellent, and the entire scope is much more lightweight than competing models that offer a full 12x magnification.
his scope also comes with precise and ergonomic turrets. These are spring-loaded and can easily be reset to zero after sighting. This allows you to make easy references in the field and adjust for evolving tactical scenarios. They’re easily marked, too.
– Perfect for 100 to 500-yard shooting.
– BDC reticle offers various options such as dots and hash marks when you aim from 100 to 800 yards.
– Nikon BDC800 is purpose-built for the ballistics of the.308 caliber.
– Comprises a 1 body with a 40 mm objective lens and are constructed from waterproof, fog proof, and shockproof aircraft-grade aluminum, all blacked out and tactical in design.
– A variable zoom of 4-12x with spring-loaded instant auto zero engraved turrets along with windage and elevation adjustments.
|4" of eye relief||8x magnification doesn't provide good eye relief|
|Pristine picture||Some might prefer a scope with lockable turrets|
|Lifetime warranty||No notch in the mag ring for easy magnification manipulation or change|
|Lightweight and compact|
|Specifically calibrated for.308|
|Compatible with many rifles|
|Visuals can be zoomed in up to 4x|
|Fairly generous eye relief (3.7 inches)|
|Provides up to 98% light transmission|
|Guarantees an almost-instant zero through its spring-loaded turrets|
|Can satisfy most hunting and shooting demands, thanks to the flexible zoom range|
|Doesn't fog or become damaged with contact to water and moisture|
3. Primary Arms FFP Riflescope – Best Scope for Optical Brightness
Primary makes some awesome budget-friendly optics, and Primary Arms 4-14X FFP scope is an excellent example of that.
This Primary Arms First Focal Plane scope in matte black finish is a powerful optic that is an excellent option for long-range hunting. The Primary Arms FFP uses their own ACSS Orion reticle that’s tuned specifically for hunting deer, hogs, and coyotes.
It is both rugged and durable because of the high-quality aluminum utilized in its construction, paired with an anodized finish in matte black color. The strength of this scope also shines with its nitrogen-purged, shockproof, and waterproof construction.
It incorporates six brightness settings and features an off-notch that you can see in between every set. It has a front focal design, which is known for delivering a consistent BDC, regardless of the set magnification.
This scope makes it easy for users to hold zero and make the attained zero remain solid. It is equipped with a ring which allows you to match its reticle to your eye. This results in a sharp reticle for each shot.
The Primary Arms FFP rifle scopes also utilize ¼ MOA turret clicks, which are slightly larger than I’d expect for a long-range scope. That being said, they are still adequate for hunting.
– ACSS HUD DMR combines wind leads, ranging, BDC, and a MIL-ranging system into a clean, intuitive design.
– Partial red illumination with 5 brightness settings powered by a common CR2032 battery.
– Waterproof, fog-resistant, and shockproof with a 6063-aluminum scope body and matte black finish.
– Covered by a 3-year warranty for defects because of materials or workmanship.
– Variable 4-14x magnification, 44 mm objective lens, first focal plane.
– Purpose-built to be easily adjusted in the field.
– Waterproof, shockproof, and nitrogen purged with durable aluminum construction and a matte black finish.
– Primary Arms exclusive ACSS HUD DMR.308 optimized reticle.
– 3-year warranty.
|First focal plane||Glass is not ideal|
|Illuminated reticule||Glare is present after 900 meters|
|4-14x magnification||Some difficulties in putting the chevron on long-range targets|
|6 brightness settings|
|The reticle is parallax free|
|Shockproof and waterproof|
|Guarantees quick target engagement|
|Rugged and durable structure, thanks to the quality aluminum material used in it|
Best Compact Scope For 308
4. UTG 3-12X44 30 mm Compact Scope – Best Scope for Quick Mounting
The UTG Swat Compact Scope is built for intermediate and seasoned weapons owners. The best attribute is how fast it can be placed on rails. There’s little to it, and the assembly is straightforward. When readying for a shot, the scope will remain at zero.
One of the best traits of this compact and reliable UTG scope is its amazing optic that suits AR-10, AR-15, and.308 rifles, among many others. Several of its features make shooting and hunting easier and more beneficial than ever before.
This scope is shockproof, and the tube is filled with 100% nitrogen, so it’s waterproof and fog proof.
It comes with a limitless parallax adjustment, which contributes to the accuracy of shots, no matter what the target distance is.
– Low price;
– EZ tap mil-dot reticle;
– Lightweight, multi-emerald coated lenses;
– Integrated sunshade, tactical range estimating scope;
– 30-Millimeter tube built on True Strength Platform: sealed and nitrogen filled, shockproof, fog-proof, and rain-proof;
– Special circuit and housing design for uninterrupted illumination, even under heavy recoil;
– Premium zero lockings and zero resetting target turrets with the most consistent and precise adjustment;
– Lifetime warranty.
|Low price||Uses batteries for illumination|
|3x-12x magnification||The scope may be heavy for some people.|
|Mounts quickly on Picatinny rails||Warranty may be difficult to have fulfilled if there are problems.|
|Great low-light performance guaranteed||Magnifications above 10x may not work well in low light conditions.|
|Comes with a limitless parallax adjustment|
|Stays at zero, even after taking multiple shots|
|Fog-proof, waterproof, and shockproof, making it strong and sturdy|
|High temperatures and moisture don't affect the scope's performance|
|Smart spherical structure for interaction between inner and outer tubes.|
5. Leupold VX Freedom–Best for Deer Hunting
The Leupold VX Freedom is the best choice for anyone that plans on hunting, specifically deer hunting. This is related to how strong the scope is to build quality. No matter where you are outdoors, the scope will not succumb to damages from the dirt and water.
With this rifle scope, you get a classic VX Freedom suite of features that Leupold is known for. Namely, fully multi-coated lenses, high-quality optical prism, and excellent simplicity for the money.
Leupold VX Freedom scope will pair nicely with any hunting rifle, especially when targeting mid to large game of.
The reticle is a bit thin, which could pose an issue for people with little experience with any similar scope. But overall, the VX Freedom is a solid product that’s recommended for all hunters.
– Leupold -Vx-Freedom 3-9x50mm with Duplex reticle and Matte finish.
– 100% Waterproof, fog proof, & shockproof.
– Made with 6061-T6 aircraft quality aluminum.
– Adds up to 10 extra minutes of shooting light and reduces glare for crisp image quality.
– Scratch-Resistant Lenses – Lens surfaces are scratch-resistant to military standard extreme abrasion specification.
|Solid eye relief||The center of the crosshairs could be difficult to see for beginners|
|Made from a dense aluminum that won't crack or scratch,|
|Brightness levels are several minutes ahead during the early morning hours|
6. Nikon M-Tactical .308 4-16X42SF Matte BDC 800 – Best Nikon Scope for .308
The Nikon M Tactical rifle scopes can be used on major types of hunting equipment such as the specialized models of handguns, muzzleloaders, shotguns, and even the special reticle for turkey hunters.
Nikon rifle scope, in particular, incorporates a 4-16x magnification range and 42 mm objective lens. Fully multi-coated lenses, waterproof, fireproof, and shockproof performance make this a reliable optic for shooting. What sets this rifle scope apart from other Nikon designs is the incorporation of zero-reset target turrets.
Nikon riflescopes are great for the hunter who’s concerned with the precision of the actual optics (the glass) more than anything else.
– Generous Eye relief;
– 30 mm main body tube;
– Side-Focus Parallax adjustment;
– Engineered for the.308 Winchester;
– Elevated windage & elevation turrets;
– Spring-loaded instant zero-reset turrets;
– BDC800 Reticle offers shooters unique open circles, dots, and hash marks aiming from 100 to 800 yards.
|Zeroing in is easy with its tactical crosshairs||Significantly harder to use when little light is available|
|Good clarity in the corners of the lenses|
|Ideal for users that wish to rapid-fire|
7. EOTECH Vudu 3.5-18x50mm Precision Rifle Scope
EO Tech is best known for their holographic sights, but they have been making a name for themselves in the magnified optic realm with their Vudu line.
Reticle visibility is spot-on and conspicuous; not too small, but not too thick either. Perfect for a tactical-style rifle, like an AR-10 or Ruger Precision.308, the EOTech Vudu line is made for the battlefield.
The reticle on the scope has all the data you need to range targets and make accurate hold-offs when a shot doesn’t afford the time to make adjustments on the turrets. The turrets are tactile and very precise. Lenses on this scope are among some of the best in the industry.
Although incredibly rugged, these rifle scopes are made from lightweight aircraft-grade aluminum
– Water, shock & fog resistance;
– Crystal clear 50 mm objective lens;
– First focal plane – reticle increases in size with the magnification;
– Your choice of MD1, MD2, H59, or HC1 reticles that are all illuminated;
– XC High-Density Glass – Impressive light transmission and seen clarity;
– Some of the best turrets I’ve reviewed as they are surgically precise, are milled and etched, have the EZ Chek Zero Stop feature, and work in tandem with some of the smoothest zooms and focus rings on the market;
– Limited lifetime warranty.
|Installs on most mounts quickly||Although scratch resistant, some marks may occur if hit hard with a solid object|
|Eye relief is good, even at the highest level of zoom|
|Crosshairs can be seen regardless of the level of light|
8. UTG SWAT 3-12X44 30mm – Best Anti-Glare Scope
The UTG Swat is an all-black scope that’s good for people that intend to use it during the day.
This scope has a magnification from 3x to 12x, and its windage and elevation turrets adjust by 1/4 MOA per click. The turrets are lockable and can be easily reset to zero.
The SWAT riflescope’s reticle is always very easy to see with 36 illumination color options, no matter the lighting season. The scope is rainproof, fog proof, and shockproof, working even with the hardest recoil.
It has been tested fired with airguns and big game rifles with heavy recoils to ensure durability.
The UTG Scope is inexpensive, which makes it a great choice for those who don’t have a lot of extra wiggle room in the budget.
– 1/4 moa adjustment;
– Integrated sunshade;
– Multi-emerald coated lenses;
– Side-wheel parallax adjustment;
– Tactical range estimating scope;
– 30 mm diameter nitrogen-filled tube;
– Zero-resetting and zero-locking target turrets;
– 30-millimeter SWAT 3-12X44 IE tactical range estimating scope with mil-dot, full 36-color EZ Tap reticle;
– Special circuit and housing design for uninterrupted illumination,, even under heavy recoil;
– Lifetime warranty.
|Low price||Slightly heavy for its size|
|Lightweight||Has a thick reticle but still usable|
|Illuminated reticle||Magnifications above 10x may not work well in low light conditions.|
|3x-12x magnification||Warranty may be difficult to have fulfilled if there are problems.|
|¼ inches MOA adjustments|
|Great low-light performance guaranteed|
|Comes with a limitless parallax adjustment|
|Scope holds zero after repeated, heavy recoils.|
|Fog-proof, waterproof, and shockproof, making it strong and sturdy|
|Smart spherical structure for interaction between inner and outer tubes|
|Changing reticle colors for different lighting situations is quick and easy.|
Best Scope For 308 Sniper
9. NightForce SHV 5-20x56mm Riflescope,30 mm – Best Scope for Solo Hunting
There’s no denying that NightForce knows how to produce precision long-range optics. The Nightforce SHV is a powerful and precise long-range scope.
The 5-20 powered optic offers a crystal clear sight picture. The SHV will cut through low light conditions like no tomorrow and is perfect for big range competitions, big game, and of course tactical use.
The 4:1 zoom ratio tops out at 20x magnification with a 56mm objective lens at the end of a 30mm tube.
The best part of the scope is the high quality, fully armored, and fully multi-coated lenses that are just about as bombproof as you can get. Many features on this scope are only really applicable if you are shooting out to 1000 yards and beyond.
Adjusting all dials is also easy, no matter if you’re looking through the scope or not.
The SHV also features an ample range of elevation adjustments, an easy 25-yard parallax adjustment, and a handy ZeroSet feature. ZeroSet allows you to quickly return to your initial zero, no matter how many elevation adjustments you make.
– Waterproof and fog proof;
– Non-Illuminated MOAR Reticle;
– Tactical MOA turrets for easy adjustments;
– 56 mm Objective lens for maximum light transmission;
– Second focal plane’s reticle remained the same size, no matter the magnification.
|Has easy adjustment configurations.||The length of the scope may take some getting used to for people upgrading from shorter versions|
|Don't fall out of zero at inconvenient times.|
|Less spotting is needed because of the level of magnification of the scope.|
10. Primary Arms SLX 1-8x24mm SFP Rifle Scope–Best 3-Gun Scope for.308
It gives shooters the ability to use both eyes with a true 1x magnification at the lowest setting for close targets, but the ability to quickly jump up to 8x for those far targets.
This tough low power variable optic (LPVO) features full red reticle illumination, a quick focus eyepiece, and a low profile.
The first focal plane construction allows for a small red-dot style reticle at low magnification for quick close-quarters engagements, without sacrificing the features and accuracy.
To get you from 1x to 8x and back, the SLX FFP rifle scope features our moveable and replaceable magnification ring fin.
The reticle features the famous ACSS reticle, which has been praised by professionals and enthusiasts alike for the ability to quickly range and engage targets at a variety of distances.
The scope is shock and waterproof, with a very rugged design and high-quality lenses.
It will hit targets that are medium too long-range, and the turret never gets in the way when you’re ready to fire.
– Variable 1-8x magnification second focal plane scope features the ACSS Standard reticle.
– ACSS reticle combines BDC, wind holds moving target leads, and range estimation in an easy-to-use system.
– Partial red illumination with 11 brightness settings powered by a common CR2032 battery.
– Waterproof, fog-resistant, and nitrogen purged with a 6063-aluminum scope body and black anodized finish.
– Lifetime warranty for manufacturer defects, materials, and workmanship.
|Lens caps are discreet; don't get in the way||Turrets are mushy|
|Good reticle quality|
|Visuals stay clear in all ranges of magnification|
11. Aimpoint PRO Red Dot Reflex Sight–Best Red Dot for.308
Last on the list is the Aimpoint Pro, which is suggested for anyone that wants a red dot sight. Staying on your target is very easy to do, no amount of weather will interrupt or take you off your aim.
The Aimpoint PRO is based on the military’s M68, which has been proven to be essentially bombproof in design.
This one is a sure-shot for first-time buyers because of its secure handling and excellent results.
This sight comes with a 38 mm lens that produces bright imagery and ensures that you don’t miss a target.
Its 30 mm central tube is perfect for producing vivid views that add to your success ratio and cover a broad region in one glance.
Quick zeroing is a hard-to-find and worthy feature in red dot sights because it always saves your precious time.
The battery life is measured in years rather than hours, which has benefits for everyone but especially the home defender. Aimpoint PRO sight provides up to 50,000 hours of runtime so that you never run out of power during your adventures.
The added flip-up lens covers increase its ruggedness and free you from worrying about the lens’s protection during rough-tough conditions.
This site is endorsed as the perfect solution for tactical, defense, and indoor shooting missions by thousands of users by now.
– Designed to deliver premium performance under harsh conditions.
– 2 MOA dots with 4 Night and 6 Daylight brightness settings.
– Up to 3 years of continuous operation using one DL1/3N battery
– Front and rear flip-up lens covers included
– In-service and battery change date decal
|Parallax free focus||Narrow field of view|
|Rugged construction||The tension knob is large and may brush against anything nearby|
|Quick target acquisition|
|Added flip-up lens covers|
|Anti-reflex optical coatings|
|Simple installation and mounting|
|Doesn't fog under extreme rain and humidity|
|The red dot allows users to find targets quickly|
The 308 is a powerful and capable cartridge designed for a big game, tactical use, and competition shooting. The 308 is an excellent round, and with over 6 decades of service, it’s not going anywhere soon.
There are some which might have attributes that are better suited for particular people, events, or even competitions. Having mentioned this, the top two choices are the Vortex Optics Viper HS and Nikon M-308 scopes shown in numbers 1 and 2.
They have outstanding built, good range, and equally great optics quality. Again, there’s no wrong pick you could make from them all; it’s guaranteed that you’ll be satisfied with the scope that ends up at your doorstep!
No matter which of these rifle scopes you decide to go with, or even if you decide to go with something else entirely, you’ll want to look. They each have some great features, and they’ll help you understand what you really should look for. Not to mention you’ll be able to get those great shots in when you go out hunting or to the range the next time.