The Ruger 10/22 is one of the best-selling rimfire rifles in the world. Ruger has continuously been designing and producing semi-automatic firearms since 1964 and is still being demanded by gun fanatics all around the world.
Part of the popularity of these rifles is that they are inexpensive, and light. They are designed so they can pretty much do any job you expect from a rimfire rifle.
The Ruger 10/22 is popular for its:
– Negligible recoil
– Inexpensive ammunition
– Easy handling
– Easy customization
– Lightweight (around 5lb)
They are useful training tools, great for plinking, game hunting, and even competition shooting. You can find a rifle scope and model combination to meet any of your needs. The great versatility that this rifle offers is unmatched and you can almost use it for any shooting style.
Due to the popularity of the rifle, you will find the model having quite some options for the scopes. However, with so many options to choose from, finding the best scope for Ruger 10/22 is no easy feat. These are some of the things you will have to consider before making up your mind. You must pick a model that works great with the rifle.
- 1 Features to look for in a Scope for the 10/22 from Ruger
- 2 Buying Tips
- 3 5 Best scopes for your Ruger 10/22 Comparison Table
- 3.1 1. Nikon PROSTAFF RIMFIRE II 3-9X40 BDC150
- 3.2 2. Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Rimfire, Second Focal Plane
- 3.3 3. Simmons 511039 3 – 9 x 32mm.22 Mag.
- 3.4 4. Bushnell Optics Drop Zone-22 BDC Rimfire Reticle Riflescope
- 3.5 5. Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Sight – Best Budget Scope for Ruger 10/22
- 4 Conclusion
Features to look for in a Scope for the 10/22 from Ruger
When deciding on the right scope for Ruger 10/22 rifle, always keep in mind that what makes a great Ruger 10/22 scope brand must include the following qualities:
A good scope must be shielded under caps that enable durability and longevity.
The scope should have parallax settings so that you can have an easier time calculating your desired shot.
It should be capable of standing its ground against outstanding offerings from reputable manufacturers.
The product should be designed with sturdy handling of any vibrations as well as recoil.
It must ensure coherent performance even under inclement weather. Ease and precision must remain widely unaffected regardless of the changes in the weather.
The scope should have multi-coated lenses that give a high image quality of the target you’re tracking down.
In varied weather, accuracy and ease of use remain unaltered.
The scope must be adjustable on the fly. This means that it must enable uncomplicated and fast adjustable objectives for whatever range you are attempting to shoot.
The scope should have a variable magnification so that the user can select between close, midrange, or long-range shots, each having their effectiveness for the gun.
The scope should be easily installable. The shooter shouldn’t have to waste time setting up his gear. As you can see, even though there are many 10/22 rifle scope options available these days, there are certain specifications that make a particular model or brand quite distinguished from others. So, keep the factors aforesaid in mind.
What is your objective with this rifle? Knowing what you mainly want to use your rifle for will be the driving factor in the scope you want to buy and even prefer. You wouldn’t go hunting without a target or a plan, right? Same thing with scopes.
Buying the correct or wrong scope can be the difference between being successful in your hunting trip or going home a sad buck!
Understanding Your Limitations
.22 LR cartridges are only accurate to about 200 yards. If you plan to use your 10/22 for hunting, you’ll want to keep your shots well within 150 yards to ensure effective shots and ethical kills. The thing to remember is that a longer barrel gives a long shot, so if that’s what you’re looking for, consider a longer barrelled gun.
Rimfire rifles are fun to shoot and hunt with because they are lightweight and compact. Note that a heavy scope will only drive your rifle out of balance.
Choose a slim and lightweight design over a heavy and bulky one anytime you can get away with it.
What Magnification Do You Need?
Your magnification depends on the target you are trying to hit.
The magnification should start from 6 to 9x. It’s going to take a lot of skill and practice to master this range with this rifle.
For medium range:
The magnification of this range should be 4 to 6x. It’s a lot easier to hunt at this range.
While the Ruger 10/22 has a limited effective range, shooters will benefit from a scope with magnification. Magnification up to 9x will help make precision shots on small targets, especially if your target is the tiny vital area of a distant squirrel or groundhog.
The Ruger 10/22 Competition rifle is a popular option for precision shooters. For match competition, you’ll want to look for a scope with a BDC reticle and target-style turrets. Exposed target turrets allow you to make precise adjustments for range and windage. A zero-reset feature can also be a major asset for competition shooting.
You can learn how to zero in your scope with our zeroing your scope guide.
Find the right Balance
To find the right balance between weight, magnification, and light transmission, look for a scope that matches your intended use for the Ruger 10/22. The best scopes will give you satisfactory performance in these categories.
You know probably that nighttime hunting is more dangerous, as you are limited to sight. Many rifle scopes come with night vision, which is what you want if you are not trying to get mauled by a missed prey or accidentally shoot a person when mistaken for an animal.
I like to know what I’m aiming at, which is why I’m choosing a scope equipped with a night vision for my late-night hunts! This helps me know exactly what’s in front of me, and it eases the tension of firing a wrong shot.
5 Best scopes for your Ruger 10/22 Comparison Table
|Nikon PROSTAFF RIMFIRE II 3-9X40 BDC150||Check Price|
|Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire, Second Focal Plane, 1-inch Tube Riflescope - V-Plex Reticle||Check Price|
|Simmons 511039 3 - 9 x 32mm.22 Mag.||Check Price|
|Bushnell Optics Drop Zone-22 BDC Rimfire Reticle Riflescope||Check Price|
|Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Sight - Best Budget Scope for Ruger 10/22||Check Price|
1. Nikon PROSTAFF RIMFIRE II 3-9X40 BDC150
The Nikon is a tried and tested and eventually duly loved product in Nikon’s range of rifle scopes. Its reticle technology sets it apart from other contemporaries and makes long-range shooting a piece of cake for demanding hunters. It’s an ideal scope for game lovers who prefer long-range shots where visual clarity is highly important. It combines all the features you need to have for an all-around rimfire rifle that is optimized for hunting or extreme precision. This makes it one of the best scopes for a Ruger 10/22 target rifle.
Many believe that the Nikon ProStaff RIMFIRE II 3-9 x 40 is one of the best rifle scopes in the market today. Its high quality and durability make it stand out from within a crowd. Therefore, if you looking for all these famous functions in one product and at an affordable price, then the Nikon ProStaff is going to be a good fit for your rifle.
The Nikon is famous because of its optical products. Similar is the case with the Nikon rifle scope. This best rifle scope is loved by hunters all over the world, especially when there is a larger need for magnification. The rifle scope of the Nikon is also considered the best way to invest.
One key feature and one of my all-time favorites for this scope are that it is spring-loaded, meaning less downtime when shooting so you can quickly change up your strategy and rapid-fire much quicker.
– BDC 150 Reticle
– Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
– The Nikon has a powerful magnification that is best to clear the images of far-off places and the objects like heavy timber. It has a 40mm objective lens and 9X magnification power.
– The multi-coated optical system of this riflescope is powerful and gives maximum performance. It has multi-colored lenses that increase the transmission of the light and gives 98% transmission and makes the results clear in darker conditions.
– This rifle scope is user and a well as budget-friendly. You can use it in any condition either it is humid or rainy.
– The 40 mm objective lens ensures clarity of vision across the shooting spectrum. The 3to 9X magnification means you will be better able to aim for long-range as well as short-range distances.
|Easy to set up||Expensive compared to its counterparts|
|Adaptable sunshade||A bit bigger compared to other scopes|
|Lifetime Full Warranty|
|Affordable and versatile|
|Water, fog, and shockproof|
|Perfecting for hunting grounds or range shooting|
2. Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 Rimfire, Second Focal Plane
Vortex has a long list of excellent rifle scopes that are designed with attention to detail and high-quality materials, which is why their Crossfire II Rimfire scope has found its way onto our list. The 2x to 7x magnification power is optimal for mid-range shooting, meaning you’ll be able to get accurate shots from around 50 to 100 yards away.
The Rimfire variant of the Crossfire II has a one-inch scope tube that is made from aircraft-grade aluminum. The optic is durable and sturdy and has no problem dealing with the recoil of a Ruger 10/22. It is also O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, so it is completely fog proof, shockproof, and waterproof.
The ample field of view and all-purpose SFP V-Plex reticle makes the Crossfire II perfect for close to mid-range shooting. Other high-end features include capped reset turrets, a fast-focus eyepiece, and anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses.
The quality and durability of the scope cannot be understated in the slim and trim design works exceptionally well for all room for rifles, but a takedown rifle in particular. You won’t regret outfitting a rifle with a scope like this, especially if you choose this model from Vortex.
– The V-Plex reticle is a popular all-purpose hunting reticle intended for a variety of hunting applications.
– The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
– Anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views for the user.
– Capped reset turrets are finger adjustable with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in.
– A single piece tube constructed from aircraft-grade aluminum ensures strength and shockproof performance.
– O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Crossfire II delivers waterproof and fog-proof performance.
|Durable built||Tougher time to hold the sight|
|Clear sight image||Reticle focus could be improved at times|
|Easy to adjust turrets|
|Nitrogen and O-ring sealed|
|High-quality scope at a great price|
3. Simmons 511039 3 – 9 x 32mm.22 Mag.
Perfect for budget-minded shooters, this Simmons scope is one of the most popular scopes on the market. However, despite the low-cost design, it offers clear magnification and several useful features, including parallax correction.
Customized for.22 rifles, the Simmons Truplex Rimfire is priced well under $100. However, Simmons didn’t cut any corners when it comes to quality. This scope is built for performance and is a major asset to your 10/22, whether you’re using it for squirrel hunting or target tactical applications.
The scope comes with Simmons’ exclusive TrueZero adjustment system, a QTA Quick Target Acquisition eyepiece, high-quality optics with a unique HydroShield coating, and a user-friendly Truplex reticle.
With waterproof, fog proof, and shockproof construction, this scope is taken anywhere, and that is why it’s a favorite among hunters.
– Quick target acquisition with 3.5 inches of eye relief.
– True zero windage and elevation adjustment system.
– Suregrip adjustments for quickly adapting scope.
– Hydro shield coating for optimal target acquisition in any kind of weather.
– One-piece tube construction for lighter handling of the scope.
– Fully coated lenses that make it optimal for target detection.
– The scope is waterproof, shockproof, and fog proof.
– Mounting rings come with the purchase.
– The Simmons’ TruPlex 22 Mag riflescope weighs just 10 ounces and comes with dovetail mounts. It mounts easily on most variations of the Ruger 10/22, including the carbine and takedown versions.
– The scope offers 3-9x magnification. If you need to hit targets beyond 50 yards, the magnification range should have you covered.
– The scope also includes adjustments with 1/4 MOA clicks.
– The turrets feature a rubber coating, allowing for easier adjustment even when wearing gloves or hunting in cold conditions.
|Design||Tactual turrets click|
|Lightweight design||Not the most durable scope|
|High quality built||Loss of clarity at full magnification|
|Quality optics and impressive HD clarity|
|Rubber gripped the surface for no slips!|
4. Bushnell Optics Drop Zone-22 BDC Rimfire Reticle Riflescope
Bushnell Optics is known for producing mid-range scopes with quality components. The Drop Zone-22 includes durable construction and clear optics for a scope in this price range, providing a great overall value.
With a stunning eye relief (3.7-in), a fully multi-coated lens for bright and clear views, and a side focus parallax adjustment, this scope is designed to dominate the close-to-mid range. The 32 mm objective lens accumulates a sufficient amount of light to provide a more lucid picture without making the scope too bulky.
This one is designed with BDC reticle zeroes at a length of 50 yards and allowing you to achieve distances much farther by up to 125 yards.
This comes with O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged specifications too, so it is resistant to moisture and other dirt or debris that gets in.
This is a certified high-quality scope for Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical Rifle, in that it could provide the utmost precision and dependability to pick up every tactical scenario.
Since it weighs almost 20 ounces, this may be a bit heavy to carry for other users. It is advised to grease the knobs, for they are quite stiff at the beginning.
– Drop Zone 22 LR Bullet Drop Compensating (BDC) reticle
– Target turrets (1/4 MOA click value) for pinpoint precise adjustments.
– Fully multi-coated optics for incredible brightness.
– Made of high durability aluminum alloy, anodized finished and sealed to protect the inside from elements
– The Bushnell Optics Drop Zone-22 includes 2-7x magnification with a 32mm objective lens
– The optic has a reticle with bullet drop compensation for 22’s.
– It’s easy to use and provides a reliable scope image.
– The image also remains clear in any weather, thanks to the multi-coated optics and nitrogen purged tube.
– The side parallax adjustment on the scope makes it a versatile option.
|High-quality image||Knobs are slightly stiff|
|The FOV is first rate||Weight of 19.5 ounces, making it a heavy scope for a lightweight rifle|
|Durable construction and sealing|
|Made of heavy aluminum alloy|
|Designed with caliber-specific feature|
|Fast-focus eyepiece and parallax adjustment|
|Solidly built, fog-resistant, water-proof and dust-proof|
5. Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Sight – Best Budget Scope for Ruger 10/22
The Bushnell TRS-25 is one of my favorite red dots, especially for shooters on a tight budget.
This is a high-value red dot sight that is both rugged and affordable. The optic is waterproof and shock-resistant enough for almost any potential use for your 10/22.
The TRS-25 features an adaptable brightness setting with levels from 1 to 11 to better your chances of acquiring your target by illuminating the 3 MOA dot reticle inside the lens tube.
The lens is multi-coated with Bushnell’s Amber-Bright high contrast lens coating, making it easier to spot even the best-camouflaged prey, even in low light settings.
This red dot sight has a 3 MOA reticle and 11 brightness settings for a wide variety of lighting conditions. At the lowest setting, the TRS-25 has an advertised 3000 hours of battery life.
Most interestingly, the TRS-25 works widely with a range of guns. So whether you own a shotgun, rifle, or an AR-15 you are good to go with the TRS-25. This gun-companion is not just built to last long, but it’s also light, weighing only 3.7 ounces.
– Matte black featuring a 3 MOA Dot reticle with 11 brightness settings.
– Mounts easily on most Picatinny rails and is compatible with pistols, shotguns, rifles, and muzzleloaders.
– Ring sealed optics stay dry inside, even when immersed in water.
– Built to withstand bumps, bangs, drops, and the rough and tumble environment of the field.
– Nitrogen inside the scope ensures interior optical surfaces won’t fog because of humidity or rapid temperature change.
|Multi-coated lens||No magnifying optics|
|Good low-light capabilities||Not suitable for long-range|
|30000 hours of battery life||There is no auto-off to conserve battery|
|Quality features for a take-home price|
|Waterproof, fog proof, and reasonably resistant to shock|
The Ruger 10/22 is one of the most versatile, and most fun, rifles available on the current market. While the rifle is excellent right out of the box, or with the aftermarket parts you picked up, the best scope for Ruger 10/22 could be the most valuable and useful upgrades you can add.
The best scopes always have features you will love as a hunter or shooter at the range. It is important that we understand the purpose of the scope first. With the purpose in mind, you can select any of the models mentioned above and start using them.
All the options that I’ve talked about here are excellent choices and you can’t go wrong with any of them, but they each have their little nuances that make them best suited for different things.
Whichever one you go with, you’ll have an exceptional optic to put on your Ruger 10/22, an exceptional rifle.
For other rifle and scope types check: