The AR-10 is one of the most powerful and versatile long range rifles around. The military has been deploying it with snipers for a long time. Civilian hunters favor its superb reliability and relatively light recoil to take down big game at long range.
In the society of long-range shooting, the AR-10 sits chiefly among the best rifles. Power and precision are the watchwords of this gun as it demonstrates to be better than the AR-15 in this way.
The AR 10 doesn’t just shoot a more powerful round than the AR 15, but it also shoots a much longer range. While the AR 15 would shoot at a maximum range of about 450 to 500 yards, an AR 10 is able to reach up to anywhere between 800 and 1,000 yards. With the right setup, you can even shoot confidently beyond 1,000 yards.
You want a scope that will optimize the AR-10’s precision shooting capabilities and allow you to utilize its versatile functionality. That’s why the best AR-10 scopes are some of the most technologically advanced and superior quality optics on the market.
- 1 What makes it so great?
- 2 TOP 6 Best Scopes For The AR 10
- 3 Best Scopes For Ar10
- 3.1 1. Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4×20 – Best Scope for Ar 10
- 3.2 2. Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II First Focal Plane Riflescopes – Best Clarity for Medium to Long Range
- 3.3 3. Vortex Optics Strike Eagle Second Focal Plane Riflescopes
- 3.4 4.Vortex Optics Diamondback Second Focal Plane Riflescopes
- 3.5 5.Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm Compact Waterproof Fogproof Riflescope, Duplex Reticle, Matte Finish, Black (114396)
- 3.6 6.UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings
- 4 Factors to Consider When Buying Your AR 10 Scope
- 5 Conclusion
What makes it so great?
– Dependable and Powerful.
– Lightweight (about 6.5lbs empty).
– Most economic rifle on the market.
– Easy to customize and build your own.
– Versatile in build, use, and types of ammo.
The main selling point of the AR 10 is the rapid follow-up shots with the .308 Winchester cartridge. No other cartridge can touch it for sheer numbers of shooters who include the US Military and the large majority of police forces, or the number of loads offered by major ammunition companies.
If there is one rifle that needs to be in your collection, it is the AR 10. The platform is versatile, lightweight, and comes in a host of calibers from the 6mm Remington, 7.62x51mm NATO, or (.308 Winchester) to the .510 Winchester Short Magnum.
An excellent scope will give you all that you need to ensure that your chances of hitting the target are high. So, let’s help you make that choice. Long-range and big game hunting require the use of good optics. By matching the best scope for AR 10 use with your chosen weapon, you will reap significant rewards.
TOP 6 Best Scopes For The AR 10
|Leupold Scope for AR 10 - Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 - Best Scope for Ar 10||Check Price|
|Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II First Focal Plane Riflescopes - Best Clarity for Medium to Long Range||Check Price|
|Vortex Optics Strike Eagle Second Focal Plane Riflescopes||Check Price|
|Vortex Optics Diamondback Second Focal Plane Riflescopes||Check Price|
|Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm Compact Waterproof Fogproof Riflescope, Duplex Reticle, Matte Finish, Black (114396)||Check Price|
|UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings||Check Price|
Best Scopes For Ar10
1. Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4×20 – Best Scope for Ar 10
Leupold is America’s premier manufacturer of precision rifle optics and the VX-Freedom is a new generation of riflescopes for a new generation of shooters. The VX-Freedom provides you with a best in class optics and unprecedented accuracy.
It’s an excellent scope to mount to your AR considering its ultra-light weight of 9.6 ounces. Long eye relief of 4.17-3.74 inches keeps things in safe perspective, and an Easy-To-Grip power selector can move and zoom things along quicker than without it.
With scratch resistant lenses and Twilight Light Management System technology, your image quality should always be that of Leupold expectations – clear, bright, and lasting into lowlight.
– Each scope design has to survive 5,000 impacts on the Punisher, Leupold’s recoil simulation machine. The force of each impact is 3x the recoil of a .308 rifle.
– Rear focal plane reticles remain fine and minimally cover the target at high power. Subtensions change with zoom, allowing tuning of ballistic reticles.
– Disperses recoil energy for unrivaled durability and performance with ultra-lightweight construction.
– Quickly change magnifications using the easy-to-grip power selector.
– A versatile 3:1 zoom ratio erector system that is ideal for a wide range of situations.
– 1/4 MOA precision finger click adjustments for windage and elevation offer absolute repeatability and dependability over a lifetime of extreme use.
– Outer lens surfaces are scratch resistant to military standard extreme abrasion specification.
– Durable and compact, the one-inch maintube is lightweight and fits more legacy rings.
– Absolute waterproof and fogproof integrity means it’s ready to perform in the field, in all conditions.
|Price||Slightly mushy turrets|
|Easy-To-Grip power ring|
|Twilight Light Management System|
|Long eye relief|
2. Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II First Focal Plane Riflescopes – Best Clarity for Medium to Long Range
This is the Gen 2 Viper PST, with a variety of models to suit any shooter’s needs. The Viper PST series is revamped, with upgraded features, from top to bottom taking its incredible performance, and rock-solid tactical features to new heights.
Shooters, who like to dial their turrets for bullet drop, and wind compensation, will appreciate the Gen 2 PST, exposed laser-etched turrets, and adjustable parallax, as well as a patented RZR zero stop, ensuring accurate returns to zero.
The fiber-optic turret rotation indicator assures you can keep track of your turret position with ease. The 5x zoom range provides a wide variety of magnification options for either short or long range scenarios. Select models are available with first or second focal plane reticles depending on the model.
The Gen 2 PST 1 to 6 by 24 is incredibly versatile, and ideal for close quarters to medium range engagements. A true one power on its low end provides reflex sight functionality. Increase the magnification to precisely execute shots at greater distances. Fixed parallax low-profile cap turrets and an incredibly functional second focal plane reticle round out the unique features of this impressive optic.
All models feature a 30-millimeter anodized aircraft-grade aluminum tube, a cleanly integrated illumination dial features 10 levels of brightness, with off positions between each setting. Full ring seals, and argon purging, on every model, guarantees waterproof, and fog proof performance and even in the worst weather conditions.
XD Glass increases resolution and color fidelity. XR fully multi-coated lenses increased light transmission, and armor tech coatings protect exterior lenses from scratches of oil and dirt. Whether you’re topping your door kicker, or dialing precision long-range shots, there’s a Gen 2 Viper PST to fit your needs. That it’s covered for life by the vortex VIP warranty.
– The 2-10×32 first focal plane riflescope is incredibly versatile and ideal for close to long range shooting scenarios.
– Shooters who dial their turrets for bullet drop and wind compensation will appreciate the laser-etched turrets, adjustable parallax, and the RZR zero stop.
– A fiber optic rotation indicator ensures you can keep track of your turret position with ease.
– XR fully multi-coated lenses increase light transmission. Armortek coatings protect the lenses from scratches, oil, and dirt.
– O-ring sealed and argon purged, the Viper delivers waterproof and fogproof performance while the single-piece, aircraft-grade aluminum construction gives shooters a durable platform.
|Excellent wide range of magnifying powers||Premium price tag|
|Argon-purged and tight-sealed O rings for fog and moisture resistance|
|Unrivaled level of lens clarity with ultra-low dispersion glass and high resolution|
3. Vortex Optics Strike Eagle Second Focal Plane Riflescopes
Vortex Optics are well-known for their rugged durability and affordable price tags. Their products are offered to Military and Law Enforcement, Outfitters and Guides, and shooters who love the sport of hunting.
The Strike Eagle is a high-end scope with unmatched technology. It delivers crystal clear optics at low-light situations as well as longer ranges. Objective Lens Diameter sits at 24 mm; magnification is 1-6x with 3.5-inch eye relief.
At the lowest magnification (1x), the optic allows for quick and easy close-range target acquisition. However, you can easily dial up the magnification for targets at longer ranges.
The illuminated BDC reticle is located on the second focal plane and is designed to focus the shooter’s eye to the target quickly.
The extra-low dispersion glass increases resolution and color fidelity. Every air to glass surface is anti-reflective to increase light transmission.
Elevation and windage adjustment turrets are capped to shield it from changes made by accident or collision. Each turn you make on the turret gives an audible click with ½ MOA and a total of 140 MOA windage and elevation adjustment.
The scope is constructed from a single block of military-grade aluminum to withstand massive recoil—capped turrets for quick re-indexing to zero.
The Strike Eagle ships with a scope cover installed, and the glass is waterproof, fog-proof, and shock-proof.
– The updated Strike Eagle 1-6×24 is defined by speed and versatility.
– A true 1x on the low end adapts to a wide range of scenarios, letting shooters rapidly engage targets from point-blank to extended ranges.
– The magnification ring includes a thread-in throw lever, and the magnification indicators can now be seen without coming off the scope.
– The new illuminated BDC3 reticle focuses the shooter’s eye to the target faster and holdovers allow for immediate use out to 650 yards for targets of known distance.
– The fast focus dial on the eyepiece allows for quick and easy reticle focusing.
– Anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces provide increased light transmission for greater clarity and low-light performance.
– Nitrogen purged and o-ring sealed the for water and fogproof performance.
– The one-piece, aircraft-grade aluminum, 30 mm tube is shockproof shrugging off recoil and other impacts.
|Best in class optics||A bit heavy (17.6 ounces)|
|Durable and affordable||Fast-focus dial a bit stiff|
|Can be used with both eyes open||The reticle is dim in daylight|
|Visible black reticle (without battery power)|
|Nice, clean profile scope with a thick solid body|
|BDC features 11 illumination settings for a variety of environments|
|Unlimited Lifetime Warranty for any Vortex Optics Product|
4.Vortex Optics Diamondback Second Focal Plane Riflescopes
Vortex optics diamondback is one of the best high quality and durable type of scope for AR10. This is classic go-to hunting scope is off the charts when it comes to image quality.
The technologically advanced Diamondback Scope features a 4-12x magnification with a generous 3.1 inch of eye relief.
The solid one-piece construction of aircraft aluminum tubing makes the Diamondback durable under the harshest of environments. This process creates a durable and shockproof scope. The black matte finish helps to camouflage the hunter’s position.
Argon purging, multi-coated optics keep the image crystal clear.
If you’re into low light shooting, for example, at dawn or dusk, then the Xd extra-low dispersion glass in the Diamondback Second Focal Plane improves resolution. As does the color display with XR multi-coated lenses maximizing shooting light.
The side focus and Parallax control is easily accessible while maintaining a trim profile and allows an optimal mounting height. With a 4x zoom range, the Diamondback magnification grants excellent versatility.
The build quality, the overall feel along the fast-focus eyepiece, make it a naturally good scope for an AR 10.
And considering the strength, durability, precision optics, low light capacity and water, and fog resistance, it’s hard to fault this equipment.
– Dead-Hold BDC reticle is good for any hunting or shooting at varying ranges where estimating hold-over would be a concern.
– Lenses are fully multi-coated for crstyal clear, bright images from dawn til dusk.
– The fast focus eyepiece allows for quick and easy reticle focusing.
– A solid one-piece tube with a hard anodized finish creates a shockproof and durable scope while helping camouflage the shooter’s position.
– Argon purged and O-ring sealed the scope will deliver a lifetime of fog proof and waterproof performance.
|Shock, water, and fog proof.||The Diamondback has difficulty holding Zero.|
|Suitable for providing clear pictures.||Time-consuming while adjusting the shot at times.|
|More accurate than any other scope.||A small viewing window, only 11.3 feet at maximum, can be annoying.|
|Scope zoom is smooth and easy to use.|
|Can withstand harsh climate conditions.|
|Can take care of the lens from scrapes and scratches.|
|After sighting-in, the turret design enables quick zero reset.|
|Adjustable objective lens making it easier to remove the parallax error.|
5.Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm Compact Waterproof Fogproof Riflescope, Duplex Reticle, Matte Finish, Black (114396)
The Leupold VX-2 Riflescope is built to the same punishing recoil standards, as all gold ring riflescopes. Pick it up, it will become crystal clear, why this is one of our most popular lines of riflescopes. A precise quarter MOA finger click adjustment, lets you dial in your target, as fast as you can pull the trigger. The custom dial system now available in select models gives you the ability to dial, for your bullet’s performance at the precise distance to your target.
Second generation waterproofing and index-matched lens coatings provide exceptional image brightness and clarity, in all weather conditions. Designed, machined, and assembled in the United States by our 650 American craftsmen, who accept nothing less than perfection, backed by the loopholed gold ring full lifetime guarantee.
This is the vortex strike Eagle 1 to 6 by 24 speed, and versatility to find this 1 to 6 optic. A true one power provides quick target acquisition in close-quarter scenarios. When you need to engage targets at distance, crank it up to 6 power, and let it rip.
High-quality fully multi-coated lenses deliver a clear, crisp sight picture, and optimal low-light performance. The illuminated class H BDC reticle subtends with popular 556 cartridges and features 11 intensity levels to accommodate changing light conditions.
An extra battery can be stored in the windage cap, and released with the tip of a bullet. The fast focus dial on the eyepiece ensures that your reticle is always tacked sharp, waterproof, fog-proof, and shockproof reliable in all weather conditions.
Whether you’re burning through a 3-gun stage, logging some range time, or predator hunting. The strike eagle is always up to the task, and of course, the strike eagle is covered by the Vortex VIP warranty.
– Fast-focus eyepiece;
– Blackened Lens Edges;
– Leupold Custom Dial System;
– Light transmission boosted by 94%;
– 1/4-MOA audible finger click adjustments;
– Quantum Optical System with Index Matched Lens Coating;
|It ensures optimal brightness||Not recommended for long distance|
|Designed by quality craftsman||CDS dial system doesn’t work properly|
|Have a Full Lifetime Guarantee|
|Comes at a modest price as well|
|Fully Waterproof/ fog proof construction|
|Rugged body design with black matte finish|
|Optical performance even in poor lighting|
6.UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings
The 3 UTG 3-12 *44 30mm ranked among the accurate scopes in the current market. The most fundamental factor with this enormous scope is the ability to be used by both professionals and beginners.
The UTG Classic 3 has a 30mm tube main body, Second Focal Plane, and Parallax Adjustment Turret.
This scope is сompletely sealed, nitrogen-filled, fog proof, and rainproof. The Illumination Enhancing (IE) System with Red/Green Dual-Color and 36 Color Multi-Color Mode accommodates all-weather lighting conditions.
This scope’s turrets are premium, lockable, resettable, well designed, and constructed to permit accurate elevation and windage adjustment that is consistent with the target range.
The side wheel Adjustable Turret (SWAT) for parallax ranges from 10 Yards to infinity with a big wheel for finer tuning.
A Mil-Dot Reticle with front sunshade and emerald green lenses make the UTG Classic 3 extremely precise for long distance targeting.
Turrets are premium zero locking and resetting.
The UTG Scope features a True Strength Platform with a durable design with SSS controlling the interaction of the inner and outer joints.
This scope scores well against much more expensive units delivering great low light ratings.
– 30-millimeter SWAT 3-12X44 IE tactical range estimating scope with mil-dot, full 36-color EZ Tap reticle.
– 30-Millimeter tube sealed and nitrogen filled, shockproof, fog-proof, and rain-proof
– Integrated angled front sunshade complete with flip-open lens caps.
– Premium zero locking and zero resetting target turrets with the most consistent and precise adjustment.
– Lifetime warranty
|Long-lasting||Despite the compact design, it is quite heavy.|
|Good glass quality||The illumination could stand as a distraction while targeting|
|Functional focus knobs||The side focus adjustment is relatively tight and can be a challenge to tune.|
|Long-lasting and durable|
|It has a perfect zeroing capability.|
|Affordable yet loaded with features.|
|Mount is easy to adjust and manage|
|User-friendly as it has no impact on your eyes.|
|It has dual-color; red and green and other 36 colors.|
|The locking feature means you don’t lose your pre-sets.|
Factors to Consider When Buying Your AR 10 Scope
Your first consideration is always your shooting style. Where are you going to be using the scope? Are you going to be hunting or targeting? If this is the first time choosing a scope for your AR 10, making sure you get the right one can be tricky!
Consider the following:
Magnification is one of the essential features that you should look for before purchasing any AR 10 rifle scope.
With a long-range rifle like an AR 10, the magnification powers become even more critical if you want to make the most out of your gun. Calling wind, identifying targets, judging distance, and other critical tasks is infinitely easier when you have the correct amount of magnification.
The reticle refers to the fine lines in the scope that help the shooter gauge distance and aim more accurately.
There are different kinds of reticles available. These include mil-dot reticles:
– Compensation [BDC],
– Mil-dot reticle,
– Red dots.
Each type of reticle provides different advantages depending on the shooter, so it is best for you to try out as many of the different types before settling on just one.
When buying a scope, you should be able to differentiate the types of reticles as each provides its advantages.
The Focal Plane
Modern rifle scopes use a second focal plane for more accurate aiming. The SFP makes the scope accurate as compared to the first one focal plane. One thing you need to note is that the size of the range becomes smaller or bigger, depending on the settings of the magnification. This feature is quite helpful, especially for long-range shooting.
You should look for coated glass that resists fogging. Also, the tube should be nitrogen or argon purged with tight sealing around the O rings.
This prevents the moisture from leaking into the tube and forming glass droplets inside the scope.
Each type of scope has different elevation adjustments. For example, short-distance scopes fitted with less elevation adjustment, unlike long-distance scope. In most cases, the larger the scope diameter, the more elevation adjustment options are available.
The light transmission is controlled by the objective lens and the tube diameter. The wider the lens, the more light it takes it.
This allows you to see clearly even in low light conditions, which is why light transmission is essential for anyone who uses their AR 10 in the woods.
The objective lens allows light to get into the scope to give you a clearer picture of the target.
If you will be using the scope mainly for hunting, you will need a scope with a large objective lens as the light conditions in most hunting areas are often less than ideal.
AR-10s can be lightweight compared to the wood stock builds of conventional hunting rifles.
If you’re not setting up your rifle for benchrest shooting at the range or anything like that, consider weights around 24 ounces and less to complement your shooting style and AR platform. Many scopes come in around 16 ounces and our lightest scope in the lineup comes in at less than 10 ounces.
With a scope that gives a good performance, backed by an assurance of prolonged use under any weather, you are sure to get the best out of your shooting. A formidable AR-10 scope will hold fast to its zero after heavy rounds of shooting and taking impact.
You need a scope that gives you enough eye relief to prevent you from having a black eye after taking a shot.
Having carefully studied what to look out for when choosing an AR-10 scope, let’s head over to our review on the top 5 best scopes for your rifle.
There you have it. A complete guide with everything you need to know before buying the best rifle scope for AR 10. As you can see, there are many rifle scopes on the market with various impressive features. However, it’s crucial that you make your decision based on your own needs.
For home defense, you’re going to need short range and a quick and parallax free design. If you’re going out to the range, and shooting long distances, the sight for home defense would not be the best choice.
For hunting, you will need a more rugged scope that can easily handle varying ranges and changing light conditions; you will need the proper optics so they don’t fail you when that once in a lifetime shot comes to be.
Each of the reviewed scopes are quality products from great manufacturers:
1. Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4×20 – Best Scope for Ar 10
2. Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II First Focal Plane Riflescopes – Best Clarity for Medium to Long Range
3. Vortex Optics Strike Eagle Second Focal Plane Riflescopes
4. Vortex Optics Diamondback Second Focal Plane Riflescopes
5. Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm Compact Waterproof Fog proof Riflescope, Duplex Reticle, Matte Finish, Black (114396)
6. UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings
The Strike Eagle represents the pinnacle of versatility and quality to our estimations. Its phenomenal optics and lens system make this quite a valuable piece of equipment, especially for its asking price, and its other features are built to Vortex standards to ensure a minimum quality of performance.
When it is time to purchase your AR 10 scope, consider the six outstanding products above. The AR 10 is an advanced tactical/hunting firearm that requires any accessories to be of the same design and quality.